This post may contain affiliate links. We are compensated for referring customers to our affiliate partners.
Superfoods for dogs are healthy foods that are densely loaded with powerful nutrients. These foods can be extremely beneficial to the health of our dogs and are often found in natural, organic, and holistic dog foods. Superfood ingredients ensure that the dog food is loaded with important nutrients vital to your dog’s health.
So when shopping for a healthy, natural dog food, consider looking for these superfoods in the ingredients panel so that your dog is guaranteed to get the quality nutrition they need.
What Are The Benefits Of Superfoods?
Superfoods are foods that contain high levels of vital nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and healthy oils. Feeding your dog superfoods regularly helps ward off disease and chronic illnesses and leading them to live a happy, healthier life. Superfoods also provide energy, aid in digestion, and bolster the immune system.
The Best Superfoods For Dogs
Dogs have very specific nutritional needs that can be supported by the addition of certain superfoods to their diet. Here are the most beneficial superfoods for dogs and the benefits they provide:
- Kale: Kale is one of the best superfoods for your dog. Kale is loaded with antioxidants and phytonutrients that help ward off chronic illnesses like cancer and diabetes. Kale contains high levels of vitamin K which support blood and bone health, vitamin A for clear eyes and healthy skin, vitamin C for immune system support, and vitamin B6 for brain and nervous system health. Kale also has high levels of minerals like manganese, copper, and calcium for strong bones and muscle tissue. Kale also has a lot of soluble fiber to support digestion.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are incredibly healthy for dogs. They are packed with phytonutrients that provide whole body antioxidant support and act as anti-inflammatory agents. Blueberries also contain high levels of vitamin C for immune support, vitamin K for blood and bone health, and copper and manganese for healthy bones and tissue. Blueberries are also loaded will fiber to aid in digestion.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are excellent for the regulation of blood sugar. They also contain high levels of vitamin C for immunity, vitamin B6 for liver health and energy, manganese and copper for strong tissues and bones, and pantothenic acid that helps your dog metabolize fat and increase their daily energy. Sweet potatoes also contain a lot of potassium which helps maintain a healthy blood pressure level.
- Pumpkin: Pumpkin is an incredibly healthy food for dogs, especially for their coat, skin, and eyes because it is loaded with vitamins A and E, zinc and essential fatty acids. Pumpkin also has tons of vitamin C which helps boost and strengthen the immune system. Pumpkin also contains a lot of fiber which is good for gastrointestinal health. It has also been shown that pumpkin is great for urinary tract health and can potentially prevent kidney and bladder stones.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is a high protein, high fiber vegetable that is loaded with great nutrients for your dog. Broccoli also contains high amounts of vitamins like vitamin C for immune support, vitamin B6 for energy and liver health, vitamin B2 for brain health and energy, and vitamin A for clear eyes and a silky coat. Broccoli also has a lot of chromium which regulates blood sugar levels and pantothenic acid which helps metabolize fat, helping your dog maintain a healthy weight and have lots of energy.
- Fish Oil: Fish oil is the best source for important omega-3 fatty acids. Your dog needs omega-3 fatty acids for hormone control, energy, and healthy joints. Omega-3 fatty acids also support your dog’s immune system and reduce damaging inflammation. Fish oil also helps your dog maintain a silky, lustrous coat and healthy skin.
- Quinoa is a great high-protein grain that is excellent for dogs with gluten intolerances but need the boost of carbohydrate energy. Quinoa is loaded with B vitamins for energy, vitamin E for healthy coat and skin, and a ton of antioxidants for immunity support. Quinoa also has a ton of essential minerals like magnesium for muscle function and a healthy nervous system, iron for energy, potassium to regulate blood pressure, and calcium and phosphorous for strong bones and teeth.
- Kelp: Kelp is an amazing superfood that provides a myriad of benefits for your dog. Kelp is extremely high in iodine which supports thyroid and metabolic health, helping your dog maintain a healthy weight. It is also contains a lot of vitamins like vitamin C for immune support, B vitamins for energy and brain health, and vitamin A for eye and skin health. It also contains sulfated polysaccharide with are essential to preventing diseases and chronic illness because they are an anti-inflammatory, anti-coagulant, anti-viral, and anti-thrombotic, and are excellent for cancer prevention.
Best Dog Foods With Superfoods
- TruDog Feed Me Superfood Dog Food Freeze Dried, Raw, Natural, Crunchy Munchy Gobbler
- Purina Beyond Superfood Blend Dog Food
- Solid Gold Holistic Dry Dog Food With Superfoods
- Wellness TruFood Living Nutrition For Dogs
- Nutro Ultra Essence Dog Food
Most of these foods are available in both dry and wet forms and contain a complex blend of superfoods to bolster their nutritional value.
Making sure your dog’s food contains superfoods is a great way to ensure your dog is getting the proper nutrition from their food. Superfood ingredients like kale, blueberries, and kelp offer a variety of health benefits and help provide the best possible quality of life for your dog. So when deciding which dog food to feed your dog consider foods formulated with a superfood blend.