This post may contain affiliate links. We are compensated for referring customers to our affiliate partners.
Many dogs experience joint issues in their lifetime. Joint issues can lead to a number of problems like pain and swelling, limited mobility, and poor quality of life. However, there are some treatment options that can help including dog supplements for joints. Dog supplements for joints are designed to help strengthen and lubricate the joints to reduce the damaging impact of joint issues.
So if you believe that your dog has joint issues, it’s important to know what to look for in a dog supplement for joint issues.
Symptoms Of Joint Issues In Dogs
Joint issues tend to worsen as they develop, so they can be very difficult to spot in the beginning stages. However, if you know what to look for, you can determine whether your dog is starting to develop joint issues. Here are some common signs of joint issues:
- Reluctance to stand up, move, or exercise
- Long periods of rest or lethargy
- Stiffness, swelling, or pain around the joint areas
- Visible joint deformities
- Weight gain
- Short periods of lameness or limited mobility
- Depression, moodiness, or irritability
- Aggression or wincing when joints are touched
- Abnormal stance or walking
- Appetite loss
- Weight gain
If you notice any of these symptoms, the best thing to do is take your dog to the veterinarian to help diagnose the cause of the joint issues.
Relieving Joint Pain In Dogs
Common Causes Of Joint Issues In Dogs
The most common causes of joint ages are age-related. As dogs get older their joints wear down, especially in the case of active or working dogs. However, some dogs may also experience joint problems from:
- Joint fractures or breaks
- Diseases impacting the ligaments, tendons, or muscles
- Development disorders like hip or elbow dysplasia
- Congenital disorders
- Metabolic disorders
- Spine joint diseases
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Lyme’s disease
All of these issues can cause serious problems for your dog. Sadly, many of these issues are hereditary and cannot necessarily be avoided with a lifestyle change.
Breeds That Are Prone To Joint Issues
There are also many breeds that are especially prone to joint issues because of poor or overly selective breeding. These breeds include:
- Basset Hounds
- German Shepherds
- Golden Retrievers
- Great Danes
- Labrador Retrievers
- Saint Bernards
- Sheep Dogs
If your dog belongs to any of the breeds prone to joint issues, you need to start thinking about their joint health proactively and should start giving them dog supplements for joints before symptoms appear.
What To Look For In A Dog Supplement For Healthy Joints
There are a large variety of dog supplements for joints on the market. However, it is important to understand how to pick a good quality supplement that will help improve your dog’s joint health. First, you should look at the ingredients. You want to avoid any of the ingredients that you would avoid in a healthy dog food such as artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. You should also avoid anything with excess salt and sugar which can cause further damage to the joints. Next you should look for some key ingredients:
- Glucosamine: Glucosamine is an essential building block for cartilage and helps strengthen and rebuild the cartilage tissues that helps cushion the movement of the joints.
- Chondroitin: Chondroitin is another essential building block for cartilage that helps strengthen and rebuild joint cartilage.
- Vitamin C (Ester-C): The antioxidant Vitamin C helps support joint health in two ways: First, it strengthens the immune system and fights against oxidative stress that can damage joints. Second, it helps strengthen and rebuild collagen.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 Fatty Acids, especially DHA and EPA help reduce inflammation around joints and can also help lubricate joints for more mobility.
The Five Best Dog Supplements For Joints
1. GlycoFlex Hip And Joint Supplement For Dogs
GlycoFlex Hip and Joint Supplement is formulated with glucosamine, chondroitin, and ester-C as well as a variety of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and fatty acids to support overall joint health. Glycoflex also comes in three different strengths that can be administered depending on the severity of your dog’s joint issues. Glycoflex is a small tasty chewable that is easy to feed to your dog.
2. TerraMax Pro Hip And Joint Supplement For Dogs
TerraMax Pro is a dog supplement for joints that comes in a liquid formula. It’s perfect for dogs who are picky eaters because it can easily be added to their favorite food or treat, their water bowl, or just administered directly with a dropper. TerraMax Pro Hip and Joint Supplement is formulated with the maximum amount of absorbable glucosamine and chondroitin. As an added bonus, it also helps heal wounds, so it is perfect for dogs who face joint issues after a break or tear.
3. Nupro Silver Daily Vitamin And Joint Support
If you are looking for a supplement for preventative maintenance of your dog’s joints, Nupro Silver Daily Vitamin and Joint Support is a great option. It contains all the important vitamins and nutrients your dog needs for a healthy body, but is fortified with glucosamine, chondroitin, and ester-C to help strengthen and maintain healthy joints. Nupro Silver Daily is a typical vitamin so you may need to hide it inside your dog’s favorite treat to feed it to them every day.
4. NuPath Pumpkin Supplements Hip And Joint
Pumpkin is incredibly healthy for dogs and they love the flavor. NuPath Pumpkin Supplements Hip and Joint is a great option for supplementing your dog’s joint health. It contains glucosamine and chondroitin to support joint health in an easy to feed pumpkin puree. This is a great option to just maintain the joint health of your dog and also reward them for good behavior.
5. All Natural Arthritis Relief And Joint Supplement
All Natural Arthritis Relief and Joint Supplement is very different from other dog supplements for joints as its main ingredient is alfalfa. Alfalfa has been shown to reduce the pain associated with arthritis and joint issues. Pairing All Natural Arthritis Relief and Joint Supplement with a supplement that contains glucosamine, chondroitin, vitamin C, and omega-3s can help support healthy joints and relieve pain. This is a great supplement for a dog that has advanced joint issues.
Dog supplements for joint health are essential for dogs facing joint health. However, it’s also a good idea to consider giving your dog supplements for joint health if they older or belong to a breed that is prone to joint issues. These recommended supplements can help meet a variety of needs depending on your dog’s joint health, so check them out.
Leave a Reply