A shiny, silky coat is one of the best measures of a dog’s overall health. Plus a shiny coat, makes your dog look and feel better. So how do you get that shiny, healthy coat? A lot of it has to do with grooming, but the most important thing is your dog’s nutrition. We’ve put together a guide to help you maintain a luxurious shiny coat on your dog.
What Causes A Dull Coat?
A dull coat can be caused by numerous factors. There are several health conditions like infections and thyroid and kidney issues that can leave your dog’s coat dull and lifeless. Parasites like roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms, as well as fleas and ticks, can deplete your dog of the essential nutrients that help maintain a healthy skin and coat. So the most important thing to do if you notice your dog has a dull coat is to take them to the veterinarian for a full checkup.
If your veterinarian gives you the all clear, then your dog’s dull coat may be a product of poor grooming and improper nutrition. So you want to start a new grooming regimen for your dog and make some positive changes to their diet. Once you do these things you should see an improvement in the lustre of your dog’s coat.
Grooming Tips For A Shiny Coat
- Brush your dog regularly. Brushing helps stimulate the skin and hair follicles and helps the production of your dog’s natural oils. These oils help make their coat shiny and smooth. Plus dogs love to be brushed, so it’s a fun way to bond.
- Bath your dog regularly. Bathing can help keep their coat and skin clean, leading to that healthy shiny coat. It is recommended that you only bath your dog a maximum of once a month so that you do not strip them of their natural oils. Use a moisturizing, anti-allergy shampoo and a conditioner with vitamin E. You can even add a little coconut oil.
- Give your dog an oatmeal bath. A dog with extremely dull or irritated skin and coat can benefit from an oatmeal bath. Simply grind a cup of oats and add to warm bath water. Bathe and massage your dog for ten minutes, so the oatmeal can sooth the skin and replenish the lost nutrients.
Essential Nutrients For A Shiny Coat
- Omega-3 and Fatty AcidsOmega-3 fatty acids, are most commonly found in fish and flax seeds. These essential fatty acids help make hair shinier because they reduce skin dryness. They also help create the natural oils that add the lustre and shine to hair. So it is important to make sure that your dog is getting all their omega-3s.
- Vitamin EVitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that can help rebuild damaged hair follicles and prevent tissue corrosion. Vitamin E also helps moisturize skin and reduce the dry, flaking scalp that can lead to a dull coat. Also vitamin E helps stimulate the growth of hair by supporting blood circulation to the hair follicle. Vitamin E is the most important antioxidant for your dog’s coat.
- ZincZinc is an anti-inflammatory and can help heal damaged skin. Furthermore, a zinc deficiency can lead your dog to have crusting skin. Healthy skin leads to a healthy shiny coat, so it is important your dog has this vital nutrient.
- Vitamin AVitamin A helps with a common skin affliction among dogs, seborrhea. Seborrhea cause dry scaly skin and matted greasy hair. Seborrhea can be treated with an extra boost of vitamin A. So if your dog is experiencing this illness, vitamin A will help them get healthy skin and a shiny coat back.
What To Feed Your Dog For A Shiny Coat
There’s a few things like tuna, sardines, salmon, and eggs that you can add to your dog’s diet that will help them have a shiny coat. However, not all dogs can eat these things, so it is best to feed them a high quality dog food that contains natural ingredients. You should stay away from foods that use animal by-products, fillers like corn and soy, and artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. Look for a food that is fortified with essential nutrients and minerals, especially omega 3 fatty acids.
A high-quality dog food will meet all your dog’s nutrient demands and will give them a healthy shiny coat. However, if your want something specifically tailored to improving your dog’s skin and coat, there are several speciality foods that are formulated for a healthy, shiny coat and skin. Our favorite is Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin and Coat.
Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin And Coat
Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin and Coat is a natural food that contains a high level of protein. There are no fillers, artificial colors or flavors. The food is fortified with vitamins and minerals including omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, vitamins A & E, and zinc. There is also linoleic acid that supports healthy skin. Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin And Coat dry dog food comes in venison and vegetarian flavors, as well as three types of canned foods vegetarian stew, venison stew, and venison homestyle ground. You can read reviews of this product here.
Supplements For a Shiny Coat
If you do not want to change your dog’s food, there are also many treats and supplements on the market to help like Nutro Ultra Shiny Coat Boost, Get Naked Skin & Coat Health, and Nutri-Vet Grain Free Skin & Coat Soft Biscuit that are great at improving the luster of your dog’s coat. They can be added to their regular diet and can have great effects.
So whether you improve their grooming, change their food, or add supplements, or a combination of all three, your dog’s coat will be sure to improve.